If you use non-system fonts in Office file content these will be embedded by default when the file is saved. So a full copy of the entire character set of each non-system font is stored in the file. This ensures that when the file is shared the content looks the same to each user no matter what fonts they have on their system. However, this does mean that the file size may increase dramatically especially if many different non-system fonts have been used.
Options for reducing the size of fonts in Office files
If you have a file which has a large volume of fonts you have 2 options to compress the file size.
1. Subset the fonts
When a file has subsetted fonts only those characters that are actually used in the content are stored in the Office file. If the "$" character doesn’t appear anywhere in the text, that character is not included in the font. This means that Office files with subsetted fonts are smaller than Office files with embedded fonts
2. Remove fonts entirely
Removing fonts entirely will not change the content of the Office file. However, as you are effectively changing the font to a system font, it may mean that the layout and spacing may change. It also means that you are not guranteed the same layout on other user's computers. Removing fonts can significantly reduce the file size.
NXPowerLite doesn't remove or subset fonts from Office files. This means that some Office files can remain pretty big after they have been processed. It's pretty tricky to spot when a file has embedded fonts and details of how to do this will be covered in a future support article.
Subset or remove fonts in PowerPoint or Word
To remove or subset the embedded fonts follow these steps:
- In PowerPoint (or Word) Click on the File tab and select Save As
- Select the location to save
- In the save dialog click on the Tools drop-down control (next to the save button) and select Save options.
- Click on the Save option on the left-hand side
- In the Preserve fidelity when sharing this presentation section there are a few options
- To subset the fonts: enable Embed fonts in the file and choose Embed only the characters used in the presentation.
- To remove fonts entirely: disable Embed fonts in the file