What is a metered license and why we have implemented it?
Metering is a way of pricing NXPowerLite for File Servers which aligns the cost of the software to value that an end-user would get from the purchase. It’s a true usage-based pricing model where the element that NXPowerLite ‘uses’ is the amount of storage space reclaimed.
As many organizations have many different server/data configurations other licensing models have failed to fit all circumstances. We have tried:
- Per server perpetual licenses
- Per TB (based on organizations total data volume)
- Per TB (based on organization’s volume of supported files)
- Many other custom license models for specific customers
The approach that has now been taken simplifies the pricing model so it will be easier for every organization to get a similar value from the software.
How metering works in NXPowerLite for File Servers
- You buy a 'Storage Reclaim Credit' for the volume of storage you want to reclaim.
- As NXPowerLite optimizes files, the amount that it reduces each file by is deducted from the available credit - this is the 'usage'.
- Usage is tracked and reported centrally and the software will automatically stop working when your available credit is exhausted. For example, a 500 GB credit would allow you to reclaim 500 GB of space using NXPowerLite before having to purchase more.
- The software continues to periodically checks the online account for active credit
- Once additional credit has been purchased and assigned to the organization's account, at the next check, the software will automatically resume reclaiming data.
- If the software was stopped prior to the credit being purchased, NXPowerLite will have to be manually resumed.
Neuxpower Online account
Each organization purchasing credits for NXPowerLite for File Servers has a Neuxpower Account automatically created for them. This online account works in tandem with the software to ensure that each organization automatically remains compliant with the terms of the NXPowerLite License. It also gives users an easy way to view the usage of each installation of NXPowerLite, add and manage users and manage multiple sub-organizations.
Credit is available to buy in the following denominations:
- Increments of 1TB
We have identified the following benefits of this licensing model for users of NXPowerLite for File Servers:
- Very clear value proposition - Buying credit in blocks means you only pay for what you use.
- A low cost or free ‘real’ evaluation is possible where files are replaced.
- Ability to monitor and track the organization’s credit usage
- Ability to add and manage users of the software
- Ability to manage multiple devices on what the software is installed, drawing from the same credit block.
- Able to manage sub-organizations & users