If you are using credit-based licensing with NXPowerLite for File Servers, you may have difficulty using the credit if you connect to the internet via a proxy server.
How do I know I have this problem?
When you have purchased credit, you are supplied with a server ID which needs to be entered into the registration window of NXPowerLite for File Servers. If NXPowerLite for File Servers is unable to access the internet you will see the following message on the registration page:
Unable to verify the license server ID. Please check your network connection and ensure you have entered your license server ID correctly. Please view event log for details.
Additionally, your event log will contain the following NXPowerLite for File Servers Warning:
Unable to verify license server id. Error message: Sending binary message: [...] Generic communications error.
[...] General data transfer failure. Couldn't resolve host name
How do I solve this problem?
To use credit, NXPowerLite for File Servers requires internet access. To access via a proxy server additional configuration is required. If you are unsure about your proxy server configuration, or indeed whether you have one at all, please contact your system administrator.
This solution will only work if you are using version 7.1.4 or later. If you have an earlier version, please visit this link to download the latest version.
Steps to configure NXPowerLite for File Servers to recognise your proxy server:
- Using the registry editor (regedit.exe), navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Neuxpower\NXPowerLite File Server\7.0 (32-bit Windows) or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Neuxpower\NXPowerLite File Server\7.0 (64-bit Windows)
- Create a new node beneath this called Proxy
- In this node, create the following keys:
- ProxyName - (string key) the name of your proxy server
- ProxyPort - (32-bit DWORD key) the port that the software should use on the proxy server
- ProxyUsername - (string key) optionally, the log in name that you use to access the proxy server
- ProxyPassword - (string key) optionally, the password you use to access the proxy server
Currently the password is stored in plain text. We are working on developing a more secure solution.
After configuration your registry should look like this:
You may need to restart the NXPowerLite for File Servers dashboard for this to take effect. If you have questions on this process please contact us.