A proven, tried and tested technology
Over 3,000 organizations already rely on NXPowerLite for File Servers to reduce storage, including major institutions such as Nestlé UK, ThyssenKrupp and the Canadian Department of National Defence.
The software is built on our NXPowerLite Software Development Kit (SDK), which uses the same File Optimization engine that underpins all our optimization software. Between them, our applications have now been used by over 2 million customers worldwide over last 14 years, all utilizing this same reliable engine to reduce billions of files.
NXPowerLite’s File Optimization engine has been independently tested for accreditation and compatibility in many industries. For example, each major revision of the software has achieved multiple Defense accreditations, which require completion of extensive and stringent testing.
Safe file processing
NXPowerLite is designed to maintain file integrity during optimization, preserving original file types and extensions. This transparent process minimizes the impact on users' everyday interactions with files, they can continue to use the same tools and processes without interruption
Here’s how NXPowerLite achieves this:
- Files remain in the same file format - a .PDF remains a .PDF
- No additional tools required to open or use the processed files
- Last-accessed or last-modified dates of files are not altered
- Processed files look and feel identical to originals
In order to ensure minimum impact on the disk, files and file system NXPowerLite for File Servers skips the following types of files:
- Files in use
- Files that have recently been modified are skipped by default (configurable)
- Already optimized files*
- File Pointers
- Files below 32KB (configurable)
- .Zip file above 2GB (configurable)
- Files that don't reduce by more than 10KB (configurable)
* NXPowerLite embeds a small metadata “tag” into each successfully processed file. The tag describes the version of NXPowerLite that optimized the file and the settings that were used, and enables NXPowerLite to bypass optimizing the file on subsequent runs. Tagging allows NXPowerLite to ensure that it cannot ‘over-optimize’ images in files,ensuring that the intended original quality is not degraded. Moving or renaming files is completely safe because NXPowerLite will always read this information if it exists.
Reporting / Auditing / Log files
NXPowerLite includes features to ensure that all processing details are captured and that a full audit of the file system can be performed. Every interaction with a file is tracked in detail to allowing us to provide in depth insight into how each of your files was optimized.
- A Powerful Reporting Mechanism
A live report detailing the amount of space recovered by NXPowerLite since installation, broken down by file type (Sample report)
Single pass report detailing supported and unsupported files, breakdown of successfully reduced files, breakdown of files that were skipped and configuration details (Sample report)
- Compatibility with Windows auditing facility
NXPowerLite runs in the background as a Windows service and as such is fully compatible with the Windows Auditing facility familiar to IT administrators.
- Comprehensive log files
Along with logs that appear in the Windows Application log, NXPowerLite also has detailed rolling log files. These show specific details of each file and how they were optimized.
- NXPowerLite file auditing tool
NXPowerLite comes with an additional tool which can be used to audit the file system to see which files have been touched by NXPowerLite (See NXPowerLite Tag Viewer)
For more details on the safety of NXPowerLite for File Servers Download the NXPowerLite Technical Factsheet